Obviously I did not grow up with this culinary deliciousness but boy have I latched on and made up for lost time. Thanksgiving is not Thanksgiving without cornbread dressing. In fact, were it not for my potato loving husband I would make only this instead of mashed potatoes. But whenever you start spewing craziness like, “maybe we could do it without the potatoes” you realize how attached people are to their holiday side dishes.
- 2 c chopped celery
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 stick margarine
- 5 c crumbled buttermilk cornbread (dry)
- 5 c dry bread crumbs
- 3 c turkey or chicken broth
- 1 stick butter
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3 tsp sage or to taste
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
How To Make cornbread dressing:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. In a large baking pan sprayed with Pam combine celery and onion mixture, melted butter, beaten eggs with cornbread, bread crumbs, chicken/turkey broth, poultry seasoning, sage, salt and pepper. The dressing should be pretty soupy to start, so that it doesn’t get too dry while cooking. You may need to add more broth.
3. Bake, covered, for 35 minutes and uncovered for 10 minutes until browned or until well set and cooked through.
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!