Are you tired of the same old breakfast options? It’s time to elevate your morning routine with a dish that’s as delicious as it is easy to make: the Sausage, Egg, and Cream Cheese Hashbrown Casserole. This hearty meal combines all the flavors you love in a breakfast dish, offering a perfect blend of savory sausage, creamy cheese, and crispy potatoes. Whether you’re hosting a brunch or just looking for a satisfying start to your day, this casserole is sure to impress.
Why This Casserole Stands Out:
Unlike other breakfast dishes that require extensive preparation, this casserole brings convenience and taste together. Using simple ingredients like frozen hash browns and pre-ground sausage, you can whip up a meal that feels gourmet without the hassle. The addition of cream cheese adds a richness and depth of flavor that sets this casserole apart from others. It’s a versatile dish that’s just as appropriate for a weekend family brunch as it is for a special occasion.
Health and Nutrition:
Packed with protein from eggs and sausage, this casserole will keep you full and energized throughout the morning. For those looking for a healthier twist, consider using low-fat milk or cheese alternatives. The eggs provide essential nutrients, making this a well-rounded dish to start your day.
Easy Sausage, Egg, and Cream Cheese Hashbrown Casserole: A Family Favorite Breakfast
Every family has that one recipe that seems to tell a story with every bite. For us, it’s this Sausage, Egg, and Cream Cheese Hashbrown Casserole. It started with my grandmother, who loved to make hearty breakfasts for chilly mornings. Over the years, we’ve added our own twists, turning it into a beloved family favorite that brings warmth and joy to our table.
- Large eggs
- Ground breakfast sausage
- Frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- Cream cheese
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Shredded cheese of choice
- Salt and pepper
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 6
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound breakfast sausage, ground
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups shredded cheese (choose your favorite)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned. Drain any excess fat.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and milk together. Stir in the cooked sausage, hash browns, cream cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, shredded cheese, and salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the casserole is set and the top is golden brown.
- Let the casserole cool for a few minutes before serving.
The Secrets Behind the Perfect Recipe:
- Use freshly grated cheese for better melting.
- Allow the cream cheese to soften for easier mixing.
- Cook the sausage until just browned to keep it juicy.
- Preheat the oven for even cooking.
Keto Sausage, Egg, and Cream Cheese Casserole
This keto version of the casserole maintains the delicious flavors and textures of the original recipe while fitting into a ketogenic lifestyle. Enjoy this hearty, low-carb breakfast option that’s sure to satisfy!
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup almond milk or another low-carb milk alternative
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage (ensure it’s sugar-free for keto)
- 3 cups riced cauliflower (as a substitute for hash browns)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (choose full-fat for keto)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or any other preferred full-fat cheese)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the Oven: Set your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cook the Sausage: In a skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until it’s browned and crumbly. Be sure to choose a sausage variety that’s free from added sugars.
- Prepare the Cauliflower: Steam or microwave the riced cauliflower until it’s soft. Drain any excess moisture. This step is crucial to avoid a watery casserole.
- Mix the Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and almond milk. Add in the softened cream cheese, ensuring it blends well. Stir in the cooked sausage, riced cauliflower, garlic powder, onion powder, and shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the Casserole: Transfer the mixture to a greased 9×13 inch baking dish, spreading it evenly.
- Bake the Casserole: Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the casserole is set and the top is slightly golden.
- Rest and Serve: Allow the casserole to rest for a few minutes after baking. This helps it set up for easier slicing.
- Ensure all your ingredients are keto-friendly, particularly the sausage and cheese.
- For an extra kick of flavor, consider adding herbs like chives or parsley.
- If you’re tracking macros, be sure to calculate the nutritional information based on the specific brands of ingredients you use.
For the Sausage, Egg, and Cream Cheese Hashbrown Casserole, whether it’s the classic or the keto version, here are some delightful serving suggestions to enhance your meal:
- Fresh Side Salad: Complement the richness of the casserole with a light, fresh side salad. Mix greens like arugula or spinach with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and a vinaigrette dressing for a refreshing contrast.
- Sautéed Vegetables: Serve with a side of sautéed vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, or asparagus. This not only adds color and nutrition to your meal but also balances the flavors.
- Fruit Platter: Offer a platter of fresh fruits like berries, melon slices, or citrus segments. The sweetness and acidity of the fruits pair well with the savory casserole.
- Avocado Slices: Particularly for the keto version, adding a few slices of avocado provides healthy fats and a creamy texture that complements the dish.
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt: A dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt on top of the casserole adds a tangy flavor and creamy texture. You can also sprinkle some chopped chives or green onions for added freshness.
- Hot Sauce or Salsa: For those who like a bit of spice, serving the casserole with hot sauce or salsa can enhance its flavor profile.
- Toasted Bread or Low-Carb Bread: While the casserole itself is quite filling, a slice of toasted bread for those not following a keto diet, or a slice of keto bread for those who are, can be a nice addition to round out the meal.
- Beverage Pairings: A hot cup of coffee, tea, or a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice pairs well with the breakfast theme. For a keto diet, ensure the beverages are low in carbs.
- Herb Garnishes: Garnish the casserole with fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, or dill to add a pop of color and freshness.
These serving suggestions are designed to complement the rich and hearty flavors of the casserole, making your meal both balanced and enjoyable. Feel free to mix and match according to your preferences and dietary needs!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the Sausage, Egg, and Cream Cheese Hashbrown Casserole, which can be useful to include in your blog post:
- Can I prepare this casserole ahead of time?
- Yes, you can assemble the casserole a night before and store it in the refrigerator. Just cover it tightly and bake it the next morning, allowing a few extra minutes of baking time since it will be cold from the fridge.
- What can I use as a substitute for hash browns?
- For a low-carb or keto alternative, riced cauliflower works well. For a different flavor, you can also try sweet potatoes or regular potatoes, thinly sliced or shredded.
- How long can I store the leftovers in the refrigerator?
- The casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Can this casserole be frozen?
- Yes, you can freeze the casserole either before or after baking. If you freeze it before baking, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before cooking. If you freeze it after baking, reheat in the oven or microwave after thawing.
- Is this recipe suitable for a keto diet?
- The standard recipe is not keto-friendly due to the hash browns. However, you can make a keto version by substituting the hash browns with riced cauliflower and ensuring all other ingredients are low-carb.
- Can I use different types of cheese?
- Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different kinds of cheese. Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a blend of cheeses can add varied flavors to the casserole.
- How do I know when the casserole is fully cooked?
- The casserole is done when the edges are set and lightly browned, and the center is no longer liquid. You can insert a knife or a toothpick in the center; if it comes out clean, the casserole is ready.
- Can I add vegetables to the casserole?
- Yes, adding vegetables like bell peppers, spinach, or mushrooms can increase the nutritional value and add more flavor to the casserole.
- Is this dish suitable for children?
- Yes, this dish is family-friendly and generally well-received by children. Its combination of familiar flavors like sausage and cheese makes it appealing to younger palates.
This Sausage, Egg, and Cream Cheese Hashbrown Casserole is more than just a meal; it’s a flavorful journey that brings joy to your breakfast table. We’d love to hear your experiences with this recipe. Share your stories or photos in the comments, and let’s celebrate the love of cooking together!
Don’t miss out on more delicious recipes and cooking tips! Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on social media for your daily dose of culinary inspiration.
Credit: Easy Instant Recipes